Sparer Law Group (SLG) has a national practice representing high-net-worth professionals, company founders, trusts, hedge funds and other institutions whose assets have been mismanaged or lost due to fraud, misrepresentation, or negligence. With the assistance of highly skilled financial experts we are able to evaluate, and litigate or settle cases involving complex securities such as collateral debt obligations (CDOs), structured investments, auction rate securities, and inverse funds.
Our experience includes matters under both state and federal law, including the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities and Exchange Act of 1934, and the Investment Advisers Act of 1940. We have litigated securities claims arising from excessive leverage, conflicts of interest, failure to hedge against overconcentration, portfolio mismanagement, and the sale of unsuitable alternative investments.
SLG’s practice includes FINRA arbitrations and individual and class actions in state and federal court. Our lawyers have challenged some of the largest financial institutions in the world, including Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse, Merrill Lynch, and Citigroup. Our approach is firm but not confrontational. We recognize the importance of obtaining results with a minimum of cost and time. Our substantial practice representing financial services professionals provides us with unique insight when developing litigation strategy and with additional credibility when negotiating settlements.Representative Cases:
- $5.5 Million Settlement (U.S. District Court). Class action recovery of investor losses due to undisclosed compounding error inherent in “inverse” mutual fund investment.
- $2.665 Million Recovery (Pre-Litigation resolution). Confidential settlement refunding losses from sale of illiquid auction rate securities (2011).
- $21.5 Million Recovery of Funds (Pre-litigation resolution). Confidential settlement in dispute over terms of redemption of frozen auction rate securities.
- $5.8 Million Arbitration Award (NASD). Representation of family partnerships in related cases against Deutsche Bank Securities, Inc. for negligent over-concentration of investors in esoteric alternate investments, including collateralized debt obligations, fund of private equity funds, and exchange and venture capital funds. The award, after four weeks of arbitration, included losses, expert fees, attorneys’ fees and prejudgment interest.
- $1.75 Million Settlement (NASD). Representation of investors in related cases involving failure by major wire house to supervise or monitor independent investment advisor.
To find out more about our Securities Litigation practice or to speak with one of our Attorneys who practice in this area call 415-217-7300. You also may email your inquiry to firstname.lastname@example.org.